Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Peru...it's electrifying!

Normally I'd consider myself in the reasonably street savvy category, however a recent event has led me to reconsider ...

...though, in fairness I'd just travelled a good eight hours on the bus and my brain was not fed the most promising foods to assist it in able decision-making.

I'd watched the helpful hostel worker show me how to work the shower:

1. turn on tap
2. switch up the electric current (30 amp)
3. have shower
4. turn off tap
5. switch down the electric current (actually I'm now a bit unsure whether turning off the tap came before or after switching down the electric current... no matter)

Steps 1 and 2 went smoothly, but would you know it step 3 gave me the trouble.

Sometimes when you're in the shower there'll be one jet of water that's going astray, it's an outlier. It's that one highly irritating distribution of water that will be hitting you in the eye or generally disrupting the normal enjoyable flow of water onto your body. This was the problem I was facing.

I'm a curious person and so I reached my left hand right up to the source of the problem convinced I could bring the outlier back into range. Well it sure showed me. I felt an electric shock all the way up my arm to just below my shoulder!

Having first checked I was okay, my loving room-mate was quick to point out that one never touches the head of the shower when there is a 30amp current running through it.

Lesson learned.

Mrs R

By way of addendum I realise that although the left side of my body has been given a shocking time of late (the moonboot, the recent arm jolt), things could always be worse....

We realised about 2 hours away from our destination that we hadn't received our change when we bought our bus tickets meaning we could have upgraded buses. About 10 minutes later we saw one of the flasher buses we could have taken in a rather steep ditch. It had gone right over the edge of the road. It didn't appear that anyone was injured thankfully, most of the passengers just looked like they wanted to go home and have a relaxing shower.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicholas! Just doing my bit to ensure Mr R gets enough health related scares to keep him in practice!! I vowed to take a few minor hits for the team with the hope that nothing major will strike... a trade off if you will.

    I'm glad you're enjoying the humour, it's always a concern as I don't want to push my luck...especially now that we have six followers. I think maybe this time next year we could have a very popular blog indeed, we don't want to peak too soon!

    Oh and please send us your address - as our most loyal blog fan we wish to send you a postcard.

    ReplyDelete