Friday, May 15, 2009

Beans, corn and rice?

On our last day in Mendoza we decided to go out for breakfast in true Argentine style...well sort of.

I definately got it right with the croissant and cortado (expresso coffee with a dash of milk or leche -wikipedia has a good explanation see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortado). My husband is sometimes tricked into thinking he can eat more than me, as on this occasion, where he ordered two pastry delights along with his coffee. So far we were right on our game.

The tipping point for me was the 220gram pottle of Postre de Durazno I selected from the refrigerator. Durazno is español for peach. This was my nod to good health. It was a small nod given that the pottle (which with the benefit of hindsight I now realise was rather large) contained the sweetest richest trifle I have ever eaten for breakfast! Ben had a different pottle - he thought it was custard with soggy weetbix, which it kind of was, but it had rum and sugar in high quantity. I guess to bring out that weetbix flavour.

Post breakfast comments included:

"I feel a bit sick."
"Yeah, we probably could have shared half of this."

But quickly became reflective:

"Well that was an experience."
"And we can have a steak with at least one vegetable for lunch."

Steak is cheap here and we have found it to be deliciously tender and tasty. But what of the beans, corn and rice I imagined myself to be dining on for breakfast, lunch and dinner? Perhaps if we had gone to Central America this would have been true, in the meantime a diet of cheese, meat and a minimum of 12,000 calories for breakfast will suffice.

Time for an early siesta,

Mrs R

1 comment:

  1. '...but it had rum and sugar in high quantity. I guess to bring out that weetbix flavour.'

    Quote of the year so far.

    Who needs authentic South American Cuisine when you can have Bicardi-infused wheat biscuits for breakfast? Sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete