Saturday, August 1, 2009

Promotional Blog

Straight up we love Vancouver. I'm thinking I should get a job as a tourism rep. It is an easy place to sell. Here's why:

Right now I'm at the Vancouver Public Library (Kitsilano branch). It's air-conditioned (word to the Napier Library air conditioning is essential). I'm on the internet, the connection is fast, and more importantly I get 60 minutes for free. Magazines, DVDs, CDs and books are ALL free to loan. This place is a haven for time-rich cash-poor tourists!!!

The 137m Kitsilano Pool (seriously, almost 3x the length of an Olympic distance pool) is a swimmers dream, especially if you're training for a long distance triathlon. At first we were skeptical about the lack of lane ropes and apparent lack of any lanes. There are two black lines on the bottom of the pool about two metres apart. You swim up on the right (there are arrows) and people pass on the inside. It works. A month pass is Canadian $40.

Check it. That same monthly pool pass also gets you entry into the community gym. Great equipment (both cardio and weights).

Cherries. Blueberries. We have been having a cup of blueberries EACH with our breakfast cereal. Discovering the 99c fresh produce bargain bin at our local green grocers is possibly the best thing that has happened to us since arriving. Generally there is an abundance of healthful foods. It's like the Hawke's Bay on heat. Wellington's Dixon Street Deli on speed.

I mentioned the BC heatwave a post ago. It has been over 25 degrees all week. No rain. And currently there is just the lightest breeze outside keeping you happily chilled.

One aspect of Vancouver that has concerned me is the frequency with which we see people walking the streets clutching an over-sized beverage. Typically branded Starbucks. The basketballish looking teenagers I can understand, they're probably hungry 99% of the day. It's the teeny tiny folk that throw me. I've seen women clasping onto a cup that is the length of their forearm. Having observed such feats closely my preliminary conclusion is that the over-sized beverage is actually a fashion accessory and arm strengthening device rolled into one.

Another phenomenon is the "celebrity-like" condition of the mothers at the pool. Imagine a world where everyone has flat rock-hard abs, sculptured arms and legs and a general glow... oh and wearing a string bikini. That is Kits Pool. I mentioned this to a local and my source informs me that Kits Beach is the 3rd sexiest beach in the world. Fact.

The beach is right next door to the pool so it stands to reason there is a fair bit of local hottie currency between the two. And it's not just the ladies, we've noted a fair amount of buff male bods too.

Hmmm... on that note I'm thinking a pre-lunch gym visit is in order,

Mrs R

1 comment:

  1. Nice.

    I like trying to pick who's written the blog as Im reading it and so far have ALWAYS guessed right, until this one. The hot babe description threw me right off the scent.

    Sounds like great times. Wish I wast here!

    ReplyDelete