Thursday, August 27, 2009

Plonk...er

Most banal conversation I've overheard at Kits Pool

"You want to get some wine?"
"um.."
"How bout a bottle of sherry, we'll get a bottle of sherry."
grunt
"You like red wine? I'll tell her to get some red wine too"
further grunt
"Have you had Bollinger? We got a bottle. It was $450."

"Oh you buy it?"
"Yeah we bought it, man I was pissed."
"mmm.."
"That Bollinger's good s*&t. Real bubbly."


This conversation went on in exactly the same fashion for the entire seven minutes I lasted lying next to them in the glorious sunshine. At one point I discretely cocked one eye to ascertain who the culprit - obnoxiously disturbing my much anticipated post-swim sunbathe - was.

Not too many surprises - approximate age 45, tanned to within an inch of his life, and clearly not overestimating his alcohol consumption. I couldn't see the grunter as Mr Bollinger was pool-side in his very own deck chair.

Resisting the urge to declare the voice in my head shouting, "Get a life!", I picked up my towel and left.

On the way home I guzzled some old fashioned H2O. My mother would have been proud.

Mrs R

No comments:

Post a Comment